Tuesday, November 8, 2011

To Stand Alone Part I http://www.compositionapproachblogspot.com/

OFF TO A BAD START                                                Justin lays on his back on top of his navy blue tangle bedspread reading Sports Illustrated in a vertical position at the foot of his bed. Numerous bright picturesque spray paintings of carton characters cover the dark gray walls. The plush gray carpet is hidden under disarray garments and gym shoesAleda walks in shaking her head in disgust. "How do you possibly sleep in here-You know it's a shame I have to take time out of my agenda to make sure you do what you have been told," Aleda said, picking up clothes tossing them into the laundry basket next to the door.                                                      "Ma-I like my things like this-as long as I can find whatever I’m looking for, it don’t matter," he hates when she barges in his room as if she is the cleaning lady.                                                                                 "Justin, she points at him, until you start paying  rent around here. I say keep this room clean. She walks over to him and grabs the magazine. Listen son, being fourteen-you are at an age where certain things are expected of you. I know it isn't easy but you must understand preparation and with that comes responsibilities. Look we honor thy Mother and Father in this house so when I tell you to do something I don't anticipate on waiting. Remember cleanliness is next to Godliness-don't ever forget that, now give me a hug before I leave. Justin five feet brown structure stands up to embrace her. You know I love you. Oh-by-God's heaven, what is that smell?"                                              "What," he says, smelling his white crew t-shirt.               "Not only when I get back do I want this bedroom clean but you better have had a bath. You know-I don't see what young lady is going to want you when you get to high school next year, for any kind of friend, unless you start taking care of your hygiene."                                 "Okay Ma."                                                                 "I'll try to be home by eight if I'm not here tell Christopher to order take out," she says, as she kiss his forehead. He grabs the magazine off the bed and sits. "I love you too Ma." She shakes the top of his sandy curly head smiling.                                                                      Aleda walks out into the peach hall on the white carpet to the glass and gold spiral staircase thinking how much she loves Justin and how hard it is being a single parent. She passes the picture of her and Christopher hanging on the tan wall realizing how awesome it will be for Justin to have two parents. Aleda steps onto the oak wooden foyer, walks over to the left side grabs her gray wrap and matching Micheal Kors purse off the cherry wooden coat rack, puts them on passing the white wood door to her right getting to the antique gold trim mirror hanging up, she steps in front of it, admiring half of her five-eight height and caramel skin. She rubs the back of her ball jet black curls admiring it's soft texture then aligns the collar on her white blouse. "God thank you for today-you always believe in me, even if no one else does," she tosses the wrap around her shoulder, picks up her black Kenneth Cole brief case off the wooden console under the mirror and walks out the door into the November biting Detroit weather.                                       I’m glad I wore long johns under my favorite jeans that make my bottom full of comfort. My Momma always said, wrapping up keeps your bones from aching and at thirty-two I need to preserve my body, Aleda thought. She settles in her black Range Rover on the cozy leather peanut butter interior, toss her cell phone on the passenger seat and place her brief case in the back on the floor. Oohh, these seats make winter not as harsh, thank God for the man who invented remote starters. She shakes her bottom as she pushes cd on the stereo. CeCe Winans begins to make her feel high quality of life until a distraction from a buzzing sound. I seem to never have a moment to myself without my phone being so annoying, she thought, pressing send.         "Hello Logan, what’s the problem? Calm down, I’m on my way to lunch. Soon as I get something in my stomach I’ll be there. Tell the models, if they don’t wear what you-the fashion editor has for them, then they can go pose for someone else instead. I have to go, see you in two hours," she presses end on her iphone while fixing her eyes on the Detroit River in her back yard.                    I don't understand, Logan is my fashion editor, why do I have to tell her how to do her job, I hired her for her experience, I shouldn't have to be to concern about fashion-yeah right, even though her credentials are creditable she is only twenty but I can see her future moving far. I hope those models not trying to give her a hard time on purpose cause she look fifteen. She lays back and retrieve. Let me go meet my sista' friends and listen to them talk about how late I am-those women, she thinks, puts the truck in reverse and takes off stylish.




OPTIMIST OF WAITING                                              "Where is she," Tumarow says, looking around the crowded diner.                                                                "You know Aleda can never be on time for anything." Wynetta confirms.                                                           "If you are that impatient, you can order for her," Katrina says, drinking her cocoa in a brown mug sophisticatedly.                                                                 "It’s not that, it’s just-every since she's been back from California and engaged to Christopher she acts as if  everything revolves around him and we are second choice." Tumarow says, taking her lemon dropping it into her water, agitated.                                                      "You are becoming more insatiable and it’s starting to get sickening."                                                             "Ooh I’m insatiable Wynetta, maybe you don't mind sitting all day waiting, however, I do. You know everyone isn't the CEO of their own magazine and production business like Miss Aleda Gary. Besides, waiting all day, that's not my forte."                                   "You act like we’ve been waiting for twenty minutes, it’s only eleven-ten, making her ten minutes late," Wynette says, looking across at Tumarow.                         "Why do you always have to protect Aleda even when someone makes a statement against her?"                  "It's not that I'm protecting her Tumarow, you just been acting selfish lately." Katrina phone vibrates on the table she picks it up and starts texting.                                 "I can guarantee when she walk in that door she won't stay fifteen minutes-Wynetta," Tumarow argues.         "You know how busy Aleda schedule is," Wyantta replies, drinking her orange juice.                                        "Tumarow, Wynette is right, you need to stop acting like you don't understand the virtue of patients-damn."        "Oh shut up Katrina and keep texting that gangster rapper boy and enjoy your day off from video grinding."      "That’s right I'm enjoying my day off. So I don't need no-."                                                                        "Are you ladies ready to order," a light skin waitress says, with short red hair and big brown eyes standing five-feet looking over all three women wearing a dark blue polo shirt and white apron tied around her Baby Phat jeans with a note pad in her hand. She looks at Wynetta.                                                                         "Yes I am," Tumarow responds quickly.                         "What about Aleda?" Wynetta says.                              "You order since you’re so willing to wait-I'll have the chicken and waffles with a orange juice and some extra hot sauce-thank you," she hands the menu over to the waitress.                                                          "Huh-I can’t believe her", Wynetta says, looking at Katrina.                                                                            "Well believe it. I have to leave this entourage in thirty minutes, so Miss could you make it to go and quick."                                                                            "And you two."                                                            "We'll wait, thank you. Katrina, could you try calling Aleda please. You no you wrong." Wynetta declare.                                                                            Tumarow smirks at them, takes her compact mirror out her black Gucci purse that matches her Gucci boots perfectly, looks in the mirror admiring her mahogany skin.                                                                             "She's not answering," Katrina says.                             Tumarow smiles at herself through the mirror. "Here comes the latecomer," she says, applying lip gloss on her slender lips.                                                                     Katrina stands behind the table and waves Aleda to them. She hurries their way walking in enthusiasm with a gorgeous smile. "Slide over sista." Aleda says.                 "Well what’s up, glad to see you were able to mingle before I was on my way back to the law firm," Tumarow says, with a sneer on her face.                           "Sorry I started off with a bad start this morning and it isn’t over, Katrina did you order for me," she says, unwrapping her wrap.                                                       "No, I tried calling but you didn't answer and yo' sistah took it upon herself to order without calling or asking what you would like."  They both look directly at Tumarow. Aleda eyes look up and down twitching her lips for a few seconds while Wynetta takes a sip of her water.                                                                            "You know I don’t have time for this. Excuse-me, I’m going to the ladies room, maybe my meal will be waiting when I get back." Aleda stands up to let Tumarow leave the table. She walks away at five-seven as if she was born to walk the run way with a body built like a brick house . Aleda sits in the middle of they're booth.                "Listen, don’t let her upset you, you know how she can get at times."                                                            "That’s just it Wynetta, I don’t understand, every since I’ve been engaged Tumarow really been on the war path," Aleda says, waving the waitress over.                "Well-you two definitely need to discuss  whatever problem is causing this teenage friendship." Wynetta utters. Interrupted by Brotha playing on Katrina cell phone, she answers with a sexy hello. Aleda looks at Katrina with a smile hoping she finally found a man that's not a one night stand but someone she can call husband status.                                                               "Have you and Christopher set a date to celebrate for eternity." Wynetta asked.                                                 Aleda waves the waitress to their table for the second time. "No, but we did decide to have a summer wedding, so my bride maids can look extra extraordinary instead of extra cold."                                                    Katrina chuckles puts the cell phone under the table.         "Make sure whatever the colors are, they look good on me."                                                                           "Will you worry about keeping a man, I see that grin on your face," Aleda responds, smiling.                             "Oh this call, it’s nothing, just one of my friends calling to see how I’m doing, wondering would I like to hook up later." Katrina swings her shoulder length sandy brown curls from front to back, bats her hazel eyes wearing a tangerine sweater with the texture of cotton which falls off  her high yellow smooth shoulders, she puts the phone up to her ear .                      "Girl you need to grow up," Wynetta says, giggling, slightly shaking her head with her black straight pony tail looking delightful on her hersey skin, dress in a dark  turquoise turtle neck drape in a burgundy, black and turquoise eye candy necklace, hoping the waitress saw Aleda wave.                                                                     "So, how are the kids?" Aleda ask.                                 "Like little social butterflies, Mackenzie is taking up ballet, she's our own  little ballerina around the house and the twins are treating me like I'm their personal chauffeur."                                                                     "And Cortez."                                                             "Well he told me-." Aleda looks at her phone.                 "Man, Logan has call me five times since I’ve been here already and I don’t want to leave when I just got here."                                                                            "Problems on the job?" Wynetta ask.                            "You would think  she could take care of things while I’m not there. I do need to make sure everything is done accurately. Let me get this Wynetta, I'm sorry..Hello Logan. I'll be there in thirty minutes-alright good bye. I hate to leave ya'll, but I’m going to order my food and take it to go."                                                    "I saw you ladies flagging me down are you ready to order now?" Waitress ask smiling. She places a extra set of silverware and cup on the table grabs her note pad and pencil from her apron. Katrina hangs up the phone.      "Yes I’ll have chicken and waffles with a Sprite and some hot sauce."                                                           "And I’ll have the same", Wynetta said.                         "Me too, but make my drink a bottle water. And could you make it a carry out, thank you."                                "Oh, no problem, you ladies are so cute, how long have ya'll been friends." They chuckle.                             "Why thank you, uh let me think, twenty years it's been, with the exception of little Miss Katrina, we've been knowing her a little over five years." Aleda responds.                                                                         "That's good, you don't find women being acquaintances that long. You ladies stay together, I'll bring both carry outs back in a few minutes."                     "She’s nice." Aleda says.                                               "Yeah, Tumarow almost made a bitch out of her, she better hope she don't spit in her hot sauce," Katrina utters, laughing then attending to another call.                     "Don't say that." Wynetta says.                                     "Well it's the truth, you heard how she spoke towards that waitress."                                                                 "Um excuse me-can I have my seat?" Tumarow says. Aleda gets up, Tumarow  slides through. "My food hasn't arrived yet, I'm starving."                                       "I heard you better make sure nothing is in your plate that would cause food poison," Aleda says, with a sarcastic smile.                                                                  "If there is and I get sick I know who to sue, this restaurant will be shut down, labeled as the worse city in Detroit, isn’t that right Miss CEO," Tumarow says, as she shows her cynical smile to Aleda.                                  "You know it, I’ll write it all in Blaze Magazine," they laugh.                                                                      The vibration from the phone startles Aleda for the seventh time, but she ignores it after feeling tingling in her legs. Oh no, it’s starting again. She rubs them and feels a little moisture on the palm of her hands. I really need to go see Dr. Murphy and this time I’m going to keep my appointment, 'cause this has to stop, she thinks.      "Guess who has other arrangements, which means, there will be two instead of three," Katrina says, placing the phone on the table sipping her cocoa.                            "Don't start," Wynetta interrupts.                                   "Why is Logan there? To get free pay-huh  I'm in the wrong field." Katrina says.                                             "This magazine belongs to me, so if it calls for the CEO then I need to do my job."                                         "What does it matter, Tumarow is leaving anyway too." Wynetta intrudes.                                                       "Don’t use me as an excuse, after we’ve sat and waited."                                                                             "Did you wait without having something to say? Huh-I thought so Tumarow. How does owning my own establishment makes me out to be the villain and you all to be the victims," Aleda says, defensively looking at each and every one of the women.                                       The waitress arranges the plates on the table and gives Aleda and Tumarow their carry out. "Is there anything else I can do for you ladies?"                               "No, that will be all, thank you." Wynetta responds.       "You know what, I have to go, don’t worry about lunch it’s on me, I’ll talk to you women later," Tumarow says, as she pulls out a fifty dollar bill from her purse and lays it on the table then grabs her rose berry pea coat from behind.                                                             Aleda stands up and Tumarow slides through putting her coat on, walks in the crowd and out the door. Her body felt like it was ninety degrees, walking to the silver Lexus truck gracefully. Why should anyone apologize to Aleda when she was the one who had us waiting and then decides to leave early, knowing we haven’t had a lunch date since she’s been home six months ago, all she thinks about is her magazine and Christopher. Does she expect things to be the same, I hope not, look at me I finally pass the bar and working at one of the most prestige's law firms in Detroit, besides I stuck our friendship out, I didn’t leave for two whole years, I love her but life doesn't revolve around Aleda Gary. Tumarow pushes the remote. I love to listen to the horn of a new vehicle it always makes my troubles disburse.       "You women have no right trying to make me feel guilty for all the hard work I've accomplished, look I have to go or I’ll be staying with Katrina," Aleda says.          "Don’t want that-so make sure you go today or any other day for that matter," Katrina responds.                      "Yeah I bet, I'll see you ladies later." Aleda replies. She wraps up and struts out as if she had possession of the restaurant, giving her final wave she pushes the door.      "Wynetta could you pass me the syrup."                        "Is it going to be like this every time we get together." Wynetta ask.                                                      "I don’t know but what I do know is how good these waffles are."                                                                    "Quit joking Katrina, for real what’s going on with us?"                                                                                "Listen, it was only our second luncheon together so don’t get so unease, enjoy your lunch and we’ll discuss things when we’re all together and nobody moves, nobody gets hurt," Katrina says, they laugh while enjoying their meal.                                                                                                                              
  
                                                                           






http://www.compositionapproach.blogspot.com

1 comment: